Persistance and Tenacity, requires a new chapter, a new beginning....

Friday, October 1, 2010

Pay a quarter; hit the reporter: just don't forget to pay...Small clams update: Sun done; QAB set for Wed. Feb. 24th

She was going to take the hospital down

Another day in court with my media moguls the Kern Valley Sun "News"paper, and their new radio pals, QAB media, owners of the local radio stations we can actually hear in this rural enclave called the Kern River Valley.

As I sat outside the court room while the defendants came ambling in, a couple at a time, waving to others they knew. It was old home week at the courthouse.

Unlike the days where the two competitors for advertising were divisive, at least I know from the Sun perspective and from Mr. Bob Jamison's story telling days, they came into court on Wednesday, united by one thing: get that reporter. (just make sure to pay your quarter.)

We were again instructed by the bailiff to sit down, exchange information, and see if we could come to some sort of agreement.

Of course there was no agreement, and I had added a few things to my packet, like Ketchup and mustard, but other than a print out of my blog, weighing down Mr. Bohn, (there are more than 250 posts now) it was same place, same thing.

Bohn, who seems to be doing all the work in this case, pointing to Mr. Jamison as his "witness."

Now this configuration works for me as a witness Mr. Jamison will have to testify to these items, under oath, and to people who are not as "stuck on stupid" as Mr. Jamison seems to like to think the rest of us are.

I get to cross examine him, where he will have to answer.

For more than three years I have not gotten Mr. Jamison to say a word, except to threaten me, at the Kern Valley healthcare District board meetings. I've asked direct questions and as expected the board could not make him answer.

Now, for the first time, he will have to answer, in court. I must say I am gleeful for that. As I said there are few places that can bring lies to their knees, and one place is court.

When I raised my right hand and swore to tell the truth I was glad to do it. I am appreciative of this opportunity to make my argument to the court about what happened to me via the media in this town.

We all know it's not just about me, but I'm the one doing the digging, carrying the shovel, so that's the way I shall characterize it.

I did some reading last week

After reading and researching libel and the laws and history surrounding it, I had some epiphanies, and I read about the trickery that attorney's use to turn a case their way.

Excitedly, I told my sister that I had learned all kinds of things about court and then I listed all the traps and tricks only to hear nothing but silence.

"What?" I asked my sister.

She said nothing, and I got concerned. Then she took off after me.

"I can see you've done your homework and found all kinds of fancy ways to do this, but the thing that you do best is just say it...tell the truth like you do when you write the blog and it will all work out."

Thank God for little sisters who tell you you're heading down the wrong path.

When I woke on Wednesday, a bit grumpy, I decided I will just tell the truth in the most organized fashion I can, and let the universe decide.

I've noticed that the truth has a strength that lies don't contain, like a genetic deficiency. So, rather than being like an attorney, I went in like me, and told the story like me. And a decision will be made by somebody who is both learned in lying and stretching, but noticeably good at seeing through specious reasoning.

Before court, Bohn asked me again

As we sat outside waiting to be called into court, Mr. Bohn, got up and asked me if I was ready to drop the case; I politely said no, and he notified the bailiff that we were not coming to any sort of agreement.

I won't tell all of this story yet, as we are still not finished or rather, haven't even started, the second case with Mr. Bohn and Mr. Jamison. But there are some funny remarks made that I will talk about once we are finished with this court case.

While we waited for court I was recollecting other things my sister told me which had made much sense.

"You don't ever need to waste your time with people like this again. You just have to finish what you started."

Sometimes it's not easy being me

I showed up alone to court, while the others brought along, I don't know, maybe witnesses, or just somebody to talk to while they waited, I'm not sure and didn't ask.

When I was called up to tell my story I was initially nervous, repeating in my head that simply telling the truth is enough, no lawyer games necessary.

What I realize is when you tell the truth, you stop being nervous because it comes naturally, rather than being contrived to fit the moment. So, as you can imagine, off I went, making point after point, and allowing myself to not know the answer as well.

After the judge asked me questions, I felt good, like I had been given a great opportunity, to tell the truth.

At one point I even allowed myself to cry. I choked for a moment not wanting to look weak by crying, then I thought, I don't care if I look bad or weak, it hurt.

I told the Sun and it's managers, it was cruel to have left a threat against me even after I told them I had already had a gun pointed at me. I made a point of telling them, I'm just human and this sort of thing affected me emotionally and my health.

Whether they care or not doesn't matter, it's that I let myself be vulnerable in front of what have appeared and acted like enemies who would like to see me look bad or even be physically harmed.

No witnesses to cross examine

Though I almost got to ask questions of Susan Barr of the Sun, it seemed superfluous after Marsha Smith admitted that the article about my prayer at the meeting wouldn't have flown had she known about it, I will need some practice.

I don't care for television and rarely watch only for special reasons, but there's a lot of TV about attorney's so I'm sure I can get a gander at some of the ways of bringing the truth to the surface during cross examination. I've got almost two weeks to practice.

After the publisher of the Sun and I finished the first case, the judge very nicely offered to hold court over if the employees were willing to stay on for another probable hour. More than five minutes passed as discussion amongst the employees could be heard and the judge reemerged into open court.

He told Mr. Bohn that the employees were willing to stay, I said I was fine with it, but I left the ultimate answer to Mr. Bohn who declined because of a basketball game. (Since court went into over time and we didn't play the rest of the game, what if the basketball game went into OT too? Would Bohn put off the game for another two weeks? Just curious.)

So, we have another two weeks, but like I said, the extra time will pay off again, I believe.

For more information as to the cause of these two cases, of media vs. media monopoly, the blog includes more than ten stories regarding the issues.

There are always reasons even if they don't rhyme
With two media outlets vying for a small pot of gold in advertising, it is not unusual to find media being timid and even skittish when it comes to making waves in a small area where they could step on toes and easily lose to other advertising outlets.

I'm saddened for them, but I'm much more interested in what happened to the patients at the Kern Valley Healthcare District nursing center who died under suspicious circumstances, the families of these residents, the fired employees who tried to tell the truth, the financial fiasco, then I am about whether the Kern Valley Sun or the Best Country had good ratings this week.

Or that they stayed out of trouble by not investigating the cries for help coming from all parties by 2007 when I was sent packing as the administrator of the hospital and her gang made it clear there was no money for those investigating the hospital.

But out of that situation came the nonsense, defamation about me "taking down the hospital."

However, it was said again in small "clams" court the other day, at our second appearance, in Hart vs. KV Sun, which has concluded, but QAB will be defending their case on February 24.

But let's start with a rumor cited by the Sun that still persists today: Laura Hart wants to take down the hospital.

The Sun seemed to indicate they were protecting the hospital. What do you think readers?

Wow.

But it's the perpetuity of lies or excuses which amazes me. Now, here is how the story should have be done:

"OH NO! The reporter! The big ugly, destructive reporter. 

Why, I think shes's taking down the hospital. How can we stop her? 

"We can't she's too big and too strong."




The end... (at least it would have been funny giving it some redeeming quality.)

No comments:

Post a Comment