Persistance and Tenacity, requires a new chapter, a new beginning....

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Medical records, test results, refills of prescriptions, billing: Where are our records KVHD?

Most people I talk to who are caught in the healthcare system due to chronic illness or even longer than expected healing times, will tell you that the standard routine is all about making appointments for care, testing, filling prescriptions, and paying the bill.

But in the last few months I have collected a number of stories from patients within the Kern Valley healthcare district who complain all of these basic needs are not being met.

Last year I had to be the one to find out that the radiology department was seemingly holding on to records and they were not being sent out in a timely fashion as the new CEO, Tim McGlew, had only recently reported the successful transition to Truxtun Radiology and how well everything was going.

Taking a test is useless if your doctor or you do not know the results.

I had a cold, a summer cold, and for whatever reason I was sent for an x-ray at the KVHD radiology department to look in on my lungs for possible pneumonia which would fetch more money than a simple dose of over the counter Benadryl.

Not wanting to disappoint my doctor as he had spent those few seconds scribbling down the test request, I went and had the test done.

My doctor told me I would have the results the following day. Tim McGlew told the community that results would be quicker or actually "were" quicker with the new radiology contractor.

I hacked and coughed for a week and then realized I had heard nothing from the doctor on my test results. Not that I thought I had something horrible other than a cold, but since we spent the government's Medicare money to run the tests, I thought I might like to know the results.

At first, I assumed they would call me if there was a problem, then I questioned that logic as I have never seen that sort of fastidious care thus far, so I called.

Suddenly, everyone was looking for my x-ray and even the hospital which did the test, had to spend time in the search for test results.

When they arrived, I was informed that they DO NOT have one day x-ray service outside of the ER.

This was a minor error

In this case I was correct I had a cold, and the insurance paid money to find this out. But in other situations that have come to my attention, this problem is not only irritating but possibly dangerous. (Not possibly, I'm a textbook case right now)

This single mother had many tests run as she had been sick with gastric problems for what she claims is four years. The insurance again paid for all of this and the tests have been run multiple times, but the communication between all the parties, doctors, referrals, test results, were never able to come together.

After four years, she has a surgery scheduled that could have been potentially treated with medication in the early stages, but now has reached a point where more money is out the door, to bring in the surgery portion of the story.

She could have had complications, the risks are now growing, along with the bill.

The problem is one that can harm a person to the point of death, though unlikely, but it is a great big light bulb for those in the industry to consider more closely.

I called it in

You will hear that phrase regularly as those of us who have to regularly gather our medications often have to hunt down our doctors.

The doctor writes the prescriptions and you read on the back that you must take it a certain way and not stop without contacting the doctor as there might be some curious side effects: such as your blood pressure skyrocketing or your heart beat nose diving.

A main complaint I have gathered and experienced is the last dose effect. If you're not all together such as myself, and have no ability to organize, you find yourself down to the last pill at 10 pm and you can't find a pharmacy less than an hour away.

And you forgot there are no refills. In this area this can become a big problem and though I often call and scare the poor pharmacy techs I manage mostly to keep the medications going. But there are people who have lost insurance or changed insurance or don't have a generic, are caught in the KRV prescription trap.

I've seen people think they can stop something and suddenly find they are sick again, and we again pay for that mistake.

Sometimes small mistakes become big

The hospital knows it has communication problems even within it's own doors, five feet away, or whispered in their ears, they are not hearing with any acuity.

Why should we pay for this business when it is not working and therefore unsafe? I'm sure the hospital would love to have a great big GOB of 20 million to talk about how the problem is they have no money: the problem is they think they have no other problems.

Yes, they have money problems due to imprudent spending, just like their biggest brother, the federal government, but they also have let down their patients and put people in danger.

The federal government has a problem in that they are supposed to pay for all the mistakes made by their little bothers, such as KVHD, a public healthcare district, with elected board members.

Imagine the exponential effect of all the hospital's taking Mediare and Medicaid adding just a few tests or visits on the bill.

For instance, I found out over the weekend (many things) but one of which is that I have been getting pregnancy tests. I know about the birds and the bees, but I also know I had a hysterectomy.

Why doesn't KVHD know that?

They were also recently looking for my appendix which is probably decayed by now as it was removed when I was 12.

Paid for by the Government against waste and fraud....

Remember when I said I knew it was a cold?

I know myself and I'm sure most people feel that way, as I said I knew last year when I was getting a cold that it was a cold. I didn't think I was dying, I was uncomfortable, and my nose plugged, but I knew.

Now when I say making a small mistake can be larger than you first imagined, picture this: I have been seen for a cardiac problem twice detected by KVHD ER staff and equipment, and it was never reported to me.

I have to make a quick phone call as my emergent condition 10 months ago was only uncovered in the past few days...make sense? No, it sure as heck doesn't.

More soon, including the poison control tape you must hear....

No comments:

Post a Comment