Persistance and Tenacity, requires a new chapter, a new beginning....

Monday, November 1, 2010

Message to Jerry Brown: pursuit of justice continues

Mr. Brown it's not finished, you're not the Governor yet

Though the criminal elder abuse case against three former Kern Valley Healthcare District staff seems to be slowing down to a plea bargain, but the situation with the Kern Valley hospital remains critical.

The elder abuse charges were brought about by our current Attorney General, "Jerry Brown," who filed the case only months before announcing his run for Governor. Actually, I called it on this blog as I watched his Public Relations machine warm up and his cases were high profile, apparently due a personal visit. Such was the case with the death of Anna Nicole Smith.

Incredibly important person. And she took the drugs her problem, her fault.

KVHD elderly residents "recieved" the drugs, many without any notification to family members. I would say we were due a visit by our "leader" of justice for the state of California.

But Brown did something else, he used this community's hospital serious elder abuse, chemical and physical restraining, crimes as a springboard for a great "pre-election" piece.

Second thing that happened was a case trimmed down to only a few, when there were many...some are still employed at KVHD hiding out in the open even. They are comfortably hidden in the lair of our real enemy,  Cal Mtg.

They missed it.

I missed it at first too, but then I try, try again.

So, I wanted to talk to Jerry Brown, in fact I've invited him to many KVHD board meetings, and perhaps alluded that I may make a visit to his office, which now could be the Governor's mansion.

I felt a personal visit has become necessary to look to our "potential" governor and current Attorney General for the help in the Kern Valley. But being a long standing Democrat, our party, our county, Republican headquarters, I think Brown avoided us...me.

He has not offered to speak with me in an interview either. Why? I'm a Californian and an American who will not continue to watch the failings of the political machine which hurt people I know, some even love with out taking some action.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think Jerry Brown, or Edmund G. Brown Jr., son of another former California Governor, is the only one who actually came to the aid of people in this valley, so I don't want to overlook that fact either.

What I see is a new change, people HAVING to LEARN, VOTE and take ACTION...or be crushed by an out of control government relying on the collection of pennies from the people rather than burdening the corporate machine which has run aground on top of us all.

We will be talking Kern County Grand Jury soon...as I get back from dropping off my gifts. As someone in the business of healthcare asked me, "why do you have to investigate, the government should be doing their jobs."

Guess what, they're not. For another time.

The Jerry Brown Rally in Bakersfield Saturday for the last run on the campaign trail coming to one of the most conservative counties next to Orange County in the state.


Free T-shirts for all of us as we walked toward the pizza joint the potential new governor would be speaking at when he got there. The time was tough, he was late, several democratic candidates and leaders were on top of it making chatter, clapping, waiting for their political veteran to arrive. (I took a T-shirt I admit...hey I'm poor and it gets cold up here.)



I headed to the media door, my indentification badge on with my name in large print on my vest. I really had no idea what I was going to do, I just make it up as I go along. Truly though, I wanted to talk to the man, make him do his job...the full monty...let's talk waste, fraud, Brown act, and certainly CAL MTG.






We sign in and are instructed to head to a small stage where a brutal battle for space amongst the camera people takes place. One TV station I won't mention stood right in front of our camera and when I alerted her that she should move, she ignored me. So, I pushed my timid camera person right at her and moved her out of the way. However, the Bakersfield Californian probably got the best picture of me, but hey, you take it as it comes.

Attorney General, half Governor, arrived late so a contingent of democrats took to the stage to eat up time and rally the small crowd. One member of the crowd said "Brown better be what he says he is-for the people. I'm thinking of handing him my business card and telling him to give me a call." Then he laughed.

I thought, humm, that's an interesting idea as we were instructed as the media we could not ask questions or speak to our campaigning AG.



Kamala Harris, the democrat in the race for Brown's position of Attorney General was of interest to me. What would she have done about our elder abuse and the missing white collar crime investigation?

She was bubbly, and I made note that I could be talking to her next year, and it could be a different attitude then we have all seen in this valley with Mr. Brown. He has ignored us and not stepped up maybe because of the election for Governor. It doesn't matter, this is Republican country, he could have only made himself look better than he does right now.

Being sickly and skinny as a knife, I stepped off the platform and used my narrowness to edge through the crowd as Mr. Brown was entering the party. He shook hands with several people and then I saw my opening between two older men, I stuck out my hand. He unconsciously took my hand but then looked at the badge and looked at me. If you can see it in the picture above, he seemed a little leery.
As I listened to him talk about water projects, Meg Whitman's resume (actually he's sarcastic and funny...that's okay with me) and a multitude of things he said something which made me want to test him: Does he stand by his word?
I stood directly in front and to the left of him, watching him closely, I could even smell him. No cologne or anxiety sweat. It had been years since I thought of him and his career and rather odd life. He brought up his past as a Jesuit Priest; his work with Mother Teresa in India; and his father's career he followed.
"The only governors who have brought water projects have the name of 'Brown." He told the audience as water is a hot topic here in Kern County, even more so, up here as we store much water from Lake Isabella which goes to growers in Bakersfield and surrounding areas. Of course, they could get a lot of it soon as our dam is a bit leaky the Feds say.
But what got me to write on a business card was this particular statement which, as I said, I want to test out. He said he would communicate with people and have delegates across the state and we would "forge a consensus" of something or another.
"I want to hear what you think about-what we need for the public schools-what we need for the universities-what are the things that we need."
Well, that was all I needed to hear, so I pulled out a business card and wrote a message on the back pertaining to that very statement. Now, the picture below shows him holding the card.
What do you think happened to that card? On the floor? He had a pocket on his shirt, maybe it was too heavy. I don't know, but I will write to him and we will see if this is a man of his word.



Everybody looked a little nervous when I reached up and handed Brown the card. But he has it.
Did he even read it? I'm tired of hearing about this nonsense, political promises in the dark..they will say anything the night before the election. And with all the data spewing forth from all potlicians right now, I would have to spend the night verifying every claim, which leads to the main ingredient for success: trust.

Can i trust that he read my message? Don't say it just to garner votes, say it because it's the correct thing to do. Now, I don't expect him to be a complaint department, but when it all boils down, he's the man.

We left the campaign trail, but my camera person followed Brown out the back door. It would have been nice if the camera was on, but she said Brown seemed irritated. She thinks he's OCD, or a "germaphobe."
His handshake was a bit quick, he withdrew rather fast, but then again, it could have been the name across my chest in bold letters: LAURA HART: KVHD UNDER FIRE.

However, the pursuit of justice continues as the Kern Valley Healthcare District  and the hospital itself is not out of the woods yet. Even if they successfully obtain this bond, things will occur which we will follow closely.
I better get started writing to Mr. Brown now, as he wants to hear my opinion, "It's not about how much money you have or how much power you have, but it's realizing what do the people really want and need." Brown told an audience likely hungry for hope as Kern County has not shown many signs of economic recovery.
Okay...let's see. It's not like I want much, only a job well done and words which match the actions, which is becoming even more scarce, if that's even possible, in politics these days.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you can't really see you giving Mr. Brown your card, but I guess we can take your word for it, you haven't lied to us yet, and your pic in the Californian is very nice. You are the only one actually doing the research and investigation to actually be able to understand the complexity of our problem and ways to solve it. I got A's in problem solving in college, and the one thing you need to solve a problem is to understand the system so the problem can be identified. Once identified the resolutions become clear.

    ReplyDelete