Persistance and Tenacity, requires a new chapter, a new beginning....

Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Sticky Three or why we brought cameras to the board meetings

In early 2007, I realized we had a serious problem in the hospital. Employees were talking about short staffing, rumors flew about the new Director of Nursing, alleged abuse was whispered through the halls, but the leaders of the Kern Valley Healthcare District boldly lied where no hospital has ever gone before.
So, I thought we should film it. Not to alarm the paranoid leaders, I told them I was doing a documentary, called, "from bond to building," about the new general obligation bond measure to replace the ill fated Measure M.

They weren't stupid and so darn paranoid, they cancelled the April 2007 board meeting.

Around this same time, I went on that fateful day into the skilled nursing facility to look at the CMS annual survey report I had been told about. It was hanging in the hall, a public document, but when I went to look at it, I had scads of nurses trying to keep me from reading it.

Mr. Jamison, in his famous video, tells the story as if I ran into the nursing facility just to use strong language. I can do that at home Mr. Jamison.

I did use strong language with these nurses or whatever they were, who intentionally tried to keep me from reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment