Persistance and Tenacity, requires a new chapter, a new beginning....

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

March meeting madness (2009)

Let me start by saying this was supposed to be a high tech blog with the goal of bringing video to the Kern River Valley. But, so many of us up here are unable to get high speed internet, therefore, the videos take much time to load. I apologize and I will make an effort to write out the best description I can for you.

But let me suggest you go to your neighbor, friend, that may have high speed internet and watch these videos. We have a whole grouping of videos on YouTube (link below) which are being updated regularly.

People in positions of oversight, this is must see video. Please watch so that you may understand in a way that I cannot convey with mere words.

Okay on we go.

First, I would like to thank the Bakersfield Californian for making it up the canyon road in the rain to attend this meeting and get a good look at what is going on.

Second, though, many people in our community who should have attended were noticeably missing. I hope that just because you saw some oversized, "frame" pictures in our local paper, that did not stop you from finding out what is going on with your hospital.

The meeting began with a public comment period which is very important. We are a public healthcare district, meaning the public is what it is all about. However, the treatment of the public speakers who didn't have something positive to say, was unbelievably one sided. Certain old board members, and the administrative representatives, were less than interested in hearing about any problems.

Gee, I wonder why the skilled nursing facility problem was not identified earlier? Certain people didn't want to let it become public knowledge.

The things this hospital could learn if it listened to the community and it's employees. There seems to be a more open and questioning demeanor to the newest board members, Dr. Robert Gross, Victoria Alwin, and chairwoman, Kay Knight.


But here's an example of what you can expect when you ask or request information. An audience member asked about getting information regarding bringing in traveling staff and the costs. Her request seemed to stymie one and then when the question was directed to the CEO, Rick Carter, he gave her a curt answer and was quite dismissive.

So, far I have not been able to get anything from Mr. Carter, and I'm not alone in this. But our new CEO, has an apartment, a 19% raise, and no need apparently to pander to employees or the public.

And let me say that I have heard Mr. Carter deflect questions by saying "it's not on the agenda." During public comment those are questions about anything not on the agenda.




Employees at the hospital have been blamed for many things, but they still come back and they still have their dignity; and they still care.

One such person advised the board that there were still problems in the Skilled nursing facility with, in her opinion, morale with the employees.

She also talked about her experience in 2006 and 2007 when she and other employees tried to get through the chain of command.

Her voice quavered as she described what happened when her and her fellow employees attempted to try and alert the administration of problems with the Director of the skilled nursing facilty, whom they were told to trust. Whom they were told had good credentials.

She made a point of saying in her visits to the facility of recent, that the patients seem well.

She kept her speech short and to the point and gave handouts to everyone currently on the board and with the administration.




Chain of command is going to be something we all need to understand. The longest sitting board member is Brad Armstrong. He told the audience and a concerned employee that there is a chain of command that if necessary, will get the information to the board.

Armstrong talked about the fact he had never seen an employee come up the chain of command, properly in all his years on the board.

He said that, obviously, forgetting the employees who came to him in Oct. 2006, to try and head off a big problem in the skilled nursing facility and with administrators.

New board chairwoman, Kay Knight, offered the speaker her personal help to get the information she needs. Knight said, "the buck stops here."

The speaker, however, was not sure she could expect any real help or information, and said, "I don't trust any answer you've given so far."




However, the speaker was not ready to be brushed aside. The CEO, with all the luster he could muster, said there is an open door policy in the CEO's office.

Well, I agree. I've seen people sitting around in there for four years now. On my recent visit to retrieve some public paperwork, I came into the office to find a couple familiar faces doing the same thing they always did; sit and talk. Not what you would expect to be going in the office of the person in charge of running a hospital.

The next video is Armstrong giving his line about chain of command and claiming to have never heard any complaints from employees at the board level. I hate to say it, and former employees can verify, he heard it; and sent them packing.



After several rounds of public comment and certain "we're great" speeches, I had my chance to ask a few questions.

First, I asked Mr. Armstrong if he remembered those supposed "disgruntled employees" that came to him in 2006. Then I asked him if what I heard was true: that he felt bad about Dr. Pormir's indictment. I think he should; that's all I can say to him and certain others.

Secretary to the CEO now, and also when the troubles took place, Heidi Sage, was asked why her mother, Tish Orr, who is a main witness in the state's case against the hospital employees, didn't want to talk to me.

I interviewed her and she was more afraid about talking to me and it getting back to her daughter and former CEO, Pam Ott, than she was about any other problem. But fortunately, Miss Orr was quite garrulous anyway.

I asked Sage why, if she was closest to the CEO, that her own mother was unable to get past this horrible oppressive force in the skilled nursing facility? No answer was expected and none was given at the meeting. But Sage told me when I asked her more than a year ago, why her mother was so afraid to talk to me about the issues; her comment, was "my mother is crazy." I think her mother is protecting her daughter.




Board counsel, Scott Nave, was asked by me, if the strategic planning meeting, last Oct. 18,2008, was reviewed by the new board since the meeting was not properly posted so therefore any decisions made at the meeting were illegal. I gave him credit that the he must have done this and had the new board review the agendas and closed session agendas for change.

We talked after the meeting and he said he would look into the matter. CEO, Rick Carter, just last month said on video that they would make sure to post the next strategic planning meeting.

Nave wrote to me and said the current administration did post this meeting properly, according to them.

I subsequently, went through archives of the newspaper and found nothing about the meeting in Oct. I did not question the radio station due to the fact that board member, Bob jamison works there and the hospital contracts with the ambulance company owned by the radio station, which makes them suspect of anything they say in regards to this matter.

I will dig a little further and see what I can find out regarding this possibly illegal meeting.




I asked Chet Beedle if he had seen the proposal to Cal Mtg. which is on this blog; and I asked Mr. Jamison if he was at all sorry for what he said to the community via Al jeezer airwaves; both never answered.

(Note, I did get an email from Mr. Beedle regarding the proposal)

Mr. Armstrong decided again to show his ire with me after I was done asking questions. His response was quite revealing and relevant.

Two weeks before this, the seeming autocrat, Mr. Armstrong, who when I showed up get a statement at the closed board meeting, jumped in front of Kay Knight and cut off the statement Mr. Nave was giving me by phone. He then told me in no uncertain terms, "the meeting is adjourned." I was not able to get a statement, but I heard everything through the walls of the mobile, board room.

I did not share that information because it seemed out of line. But I took in every word.

Then at the meeting Armstrong obviously angry, told me he had said to me he would not answer my questions.

I will correct that and say that he never said that, but indeed impeded answers to relevant questions during the crisis in the skilled nursing facility.

When Armstrong was chairman of the board, and I was in denial, he allowed me 20 minutes to excoriate the Knights, but when I found out I had boarded the wrong ship, he created the "three minute rule."
You can look this up on the board minutes. Or even ask them.

After my half hour speech, I received a plant and a greeting card thanking me for attacking the Knights. That is deeply regrettable for me, as it should be.

But anyway, when things changed as I knew what some of the deep problems that were plaguing the district, I was berated at all meetings. Then the responses stopped all together as troubles further ensued.



Now, after all that has gone on at the hospital, Mr. Armstrong, cannot find an answer to my questions other than to attack.



The next video is about the closed session which took place after the regular board meeting.

We waited more than an hour to hear the statement delivered by Scott Nave. We heard that the board decided to have the insurance company pay for Dr. Pormir and pharmacist Debbie Haye's defense.

Maybe sanity will return to this healthcare district via the new board members. Maybe it will take a real investigation to find out what went wrong and who is at fault. Maybe it will take all of us realizing our part in this problem.

Or could the state agency which has locked up all the potential of this hospital for nearly two decades finally let go of the financial death grip that continues to hold it back?

At the meeting the board decided to go with a digitized radiology system. The price was with a discount for the technology just over $100,000. Where the money was to come from was up in the air.

That's not much money. And the real equipment which is needed urgently is not that much more.

We shouldn't be begging for something that should be within our reach financially, and so critical for this rural hospital.

Hello Cal Mtg.; Can you hear us?


This week, we will hopefully find out if former CEO, Pamela Ott, has been given a deal to squeal, and create scapegoats out of innocent people.

It isn't over yet.

Please follow the videos as more will be posted this next week.




http://www.youtube.com/OrderBipolarDisorder

No comments:

Post a Comment