Persistance and Tenacity, requires a new chapter, a new beginning....

Saturday, June 12, 2010

McGlew and Beedle's general obligation bond and tax service...

My new doctor asked me what my symptoms were recently, and I told him, I'm watching television...he looked concerned.

After two hours of watching television I gained some energy and decided to rummage. What that means in my world is that I pick up a stack of papers and look thru them and always find something.

I found a lot today. I didn't know we had already purchased a PHACO machine before 2005, that was "never used." The machine is to remove cataracts which was one of the things the community wanted to have available here and not have to travel.

We had one, bought another, and now I think that one doesn't work. And we have no current eye surgery here anyway.

We had a mammography van, and even may still have the equipment unless it was sold to a third world country, and now we talk again about buying another one. I guess if this miracle bond comes through it would be part of the "imaging center" right? Yeah.

Back to the Bond...

Caldwell Winters and Flores as I explained a few posts ago, is the company who promotes and sells general obligation bonds for schools, hospitals, cities, and takes a cut from the deal. The bigger the bond, the more they make. They sold Tehachapi a bond or two or three or maybe even four before it's all over as that community is locked in combat over the location, costs of building a new hospital, and the board is a lot louder than the one we have here at KVHD.

In a story I wrote for the Kern Valley Sun newspaper in 2006, the results of the survey to the community for a 12.5 million dollar bond, was less than two thirds, and CFW, recommended the hospital find out how many volunteers will help with the bond, before they jump in and put it on the ballot.

Now this year in 2010, when CFW maybe lacking in clients putting out bonds that raise taxes, they have a survey which says now this community after becoming famous for the worst elder abuse in California, running out of money, trying to close it's pharmacy, literally blaming the "poor" for their problems, is willing to support 20 million dollars on their property taxes.

That's darned interesting to me. So much so that I continue my own survey which has yet to get one person to say they want to pay more in taxes.

And when they see the headlines on the county budget there's going to be even more hostility as the money grab is on in the KRV.

Apparently, Kern County is going to be laying off and cutting back, which means, there will be more of these pesky poor and uninsured people coming to this hospital.

But isn't that what a public hospital is for?

Somebody asked me why the hospital thinks it should make more money from the community.

I said other than being poisoned by the water and not thinking straight, I can't imagine why they would put this on us.

Oh yeah, they don't care. They have big salaries to pay the administrators. The board members on the other hand, make very little for their time. And I'm okay with that because they've done little except to follow misguidance of the managers they selected to run the hospital. The board agreed to these out of sight salaries which could pay for PHACO cataract machines and even a surgeon, but in this economy do you think anyone on the top of this heap is going to leave?

Heck no, they have a great deal here. Cut out the little guys, like pharmacy workers; take away their benefits, and use that money. But no, don't cut the CEO or the CFO. What a blood letting of employees under the kingdoms since the reign of Ott. I've never seen such waste of labor, talent and money in my life.

What this hospital district needs is a hero willing to go up against the likes of Cal Mtg. the double dealer who doesn't always have a feasibility study to go along with their insurance: hello state of California you have a problem, high risk, bad insuring practices. Sound familiar? Shall I write to the federal government on this, or will California take a look at it's own problem?

So, Finance committee this Wednesday at 9 am. I'm sure it will be dull and include Tim and Chet threatening that either the district will go broke because of it's own mistakes; or we get a bond.

I can't wait to hear this again. I love this story, I'm bonded with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment