Persistance and Tenacity, requires a new chapter, a new beginning....

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

You're right, Kern Valley Sun, it is okay to make threats


At first I thought wow, the Kern Valley Sun Newspaper, has something personal against me when they allowed a threat on their website with my name on it.
Then I realized these fine upstanding people are really just trying to teach me something about Freedom of Speech...
Boy, they sure put me in my place, showing me how a real newspaper should behave. I realize this is all about fairness and nothing personal to me.
I know they are really trying to protect free speech on their website. What an important issue, and it should rightly be undertaken by the intelligent individuals that they are.
Now, I realize that if someone were to make remarks on their website or maybe even in the paper itself, like "shut them up for good," to, say, Marsha Smith, the publisher, that they would welcome it on the site. Marsha and her husband, I'm sure enjoy even veiled threats.
Good for ratings. Good for freedom.
And even if the threat was against, editor, Cathy Perfect, and included a reference to say the issue of homosexuality, I know they would abide the constitutional rights of the author even if they were to make a suggestion that some sort of harm come to somebody.
Now there's some strength we can count on in this valley.
So, if these kids want to paint hate signs all over the valley: rather than buying spray paint and swastikas, just go on the Kern Valley Sun website and learn how far you can really go with freedom of speech.
Thanks, Marsha Smith, Cathy Perfect, and Susan Barr, you're teaching us a lot about what is important in this valley. I'm sure the three of you must be proud.
(You know I think I'm going to try out this freedom of speech thing. I wonder how it works?)

No comments:

Post a Comment