Persistance and Tenacity, requires a new chapter, a new beginning....

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Kern Valley Healthcare District Board candidate: KATHRYN KNIGHT

Election 2010 Kern Valley Healthcare District board of Directors candidate Kathryn Knight

Kathryn Knight

Answers to Questions:

1. Where do you see the hospital 10 years from now? 20 years?

KVHD is facing unprecedented challenges. Declining economies, increasing levels of uninsured patients, meeting safety and quality requirements, and physician shortages are some of the subjects on our district board agendas. AND, THE BIIGGEST CHALLENGE, CAL - MORTGAGE, our LARGEST CREDITOR, has cost the District Millions of Dollars throughout the last 20 years with their ability to REFINANCE THE LONG-TERM DEBT, GUARANTEE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN BORROWINGS, GUARANTEE LINES OF CREDIT, INSIST THAT WE HIRE CONSULTANTS TO FIND INNOVATIVE WAYS TO PAY THAT DEBT ------------ THAT CAL-MORTGAGE KNOWS THAT WE CANNOT POSSIBLY PAY BACK ------ This, to me, as a Board Member, is fiduciary IRRESPONSIBILITY. I have preached the alternatatve to the Board for four years. They WILL NOT LISTEN! The only way out, as I see it, and I can provide all the documentation, IS TO GET RID OF THIS DEBT!!!!! I believe, very honestly, that this is the only alternative to our financial situation. Within a couple years, of struggling (that we already do, for heavens sake) we will be VIABLE and OUT OF THE WATER THAT CONTINUES TO SINK US!!!!!

Creative solutions can be found when sought. Throughout the last four years, I have been preaching an alternative solution to our healthcare district woes, financially, and the administration and board members have chosen to ignore the possible solution to this very problem.

I think NEGOTIATION - with Cal-Mortgage is our only answer to our viability ten, twenty years from now. We need to bring a STRONG TEAM of experts in to work for us. I know who they could be -- and I have suggested that we contact them as of last April. The Board and Administration sees fit to ask our taxpayers to pay this ----- I will agree with whatever the voters want. That is my job. But, the taxpayers need to stay focused and informed.

A workable strategic Plan should be in place to conquer the issues that we face. By 2020, our turnaround assessment should have been strategically implemented, finances improved, debt service covered or erased, and a new Emergency Room and Radiology Lab in place.

By 2030, I see a new Acute Care Wing, Ancillary Services in place, functioning, and providing the services we desperately await.

I see myself as a resident in our Skilled Nursing Facility in the year 2030. I have hopes that the healthcare needs of my generation will be comfortably met -- partly because I was part of the SOLUTION!!!!!

2. The hospital is a "public healthcare district", how would you define that to the community"

The healthcare district, like the school districts, or water districts, or cemetery districts, are owned by the public, and by the District that they serve. Our KVHD is run by a five-member board of directors, who represent the District. Per the Brown Act, established in 1951, to initiate a new "open meeting law", that business will be done in PUBLIC.

At any open meeting, the public has the opportunity to comment on items not on the agenda, but with the jurisdiction of the Board. Items already ON THE AGENDA, may be addressed at the time they come up for discussion.

3. The job of a KVHD Board Member is.................

First of all, I love this job. I've been effective as a Chairwoman, and as an advocate for employees and for community residents.
Of utmost importance is the board member's desire to be effective. Effective KVHD Leadership requires an understanding of the scope of the limits of board members' powers, influence, and responsibilities.

In order to maximize the effectiveness to the District, a Board Member needs to maximize his/her own effectiveness on the Board. He/She needs to think strategically, embrace the BIG PICTURE of the future of the District, and in doing so, enriches his/her own life by acquiring knowledge and wisdom.........but leading with the heart.

In the planning process, the quality of the final strategic plan is the Board's primary responsibility.

4. How much time can you devote to this endeavor if you are elected?

I find this job, to be fulfilling, worthwhile, and challenging. I hope that I will be be re-elected.

Since I have spent almost four years on the Board of Trustees, the time I have spent in actual work-hours, Committee preparation, Board-meeting preparation, and the time devoted to thinking through each issue as it arises, is equal to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Board Roles and Responsibilities require a definite time commitment. The planning process, when properly done, is the heart of effective governance and leadership, serving as the basis for management to successfully carry out the mission of the organization.

The time I spend, in addition to attending Board-related meetings, has required me to continuously be aware of my fiduciary responsibility to the District, think strategically all day in the best interest of the District, and maximize my own effectiveness, on this Board in order to contribute to the long term success of the District. Effective oversight of the management staff that provided direction without interfering with operational decision-making will produce benefits to the community served by the district. These are serious matters of public trust, and these responsibilities can be fulfilled most effectively through a strong commitment to spending adequate time to this endeavor.

Candidate statement:

My name is Kathryn Knight and I am running for my second term as Director of the Kern Valley Healthcare District.

In the four years I have served on the KVHD Board of Directors, I was able to accomplish positive changes beneficial to the community and to the healthcare district. During that time, I channeled employee and community concerns through the proper chain of command that brought about effective changes that are still in place today.

I listen energetically to employees, staff, and fellow board members with open mind, and strive to make the wisest decisions in the best interest of the healthcare district.

I listen intently to community members with sincerity, honesty, and integrity. I am accessible and transparent in the Kern River Valley.

I have served on the Board Personnel/Policy Committee for four years. I have grown to understand the problems that we faced in 2006, and eagerly worked to resolve those issues with strength, wisdom, and character. I have worked, and fought, diligently, to formulate and preserve district-wide Policy and Procedures that are in compliance with State regulations. Our Board P & P meetings some days last a seven to eight hour day, just to effect the necessary changes that must, strictly, occur. Some of our policies were fifteen, twenty years old, and were never evaluated for update. The Policy Manuals for each department are close to being completed. It has been a huge task, but one worth all the effort initiated. Employee concerns, I have brought before the Committee, and resolution has occurred in a timely manner, in most instances.

I have served on the Board Finance Committee for the past four years. I have asked a lot of questions, received a lot of answers, but the "solutions" are not always a result of the questions or answers! I understand Medicare and Medi-Cal reimbursement methods and depreciation costs and reimbursement. I read thoroughly the financial statements each month and have prepared questions ready at Finance Committee meetings.

I have attended the Association of California Healthcare District's Annual Meetings and Board Governance Seminars. The association is a group of 74 California rural healthcare districts, that provide legislative strategies for the benefit of districts, provide educational seminars and workshops to educate board members, CEO's, CFO's, and promote changes at the State level to effect the proper changes to impact the future of all of our districts.

I actively support all KVHD functions. I serve on the Board of the Kern Valley Hospital Foundation. I have financially supported the ECHO Health Academy since it began in 1998, as well as all Hospital Foundation activitites. I have supported the Youth 2000 program since its inception.

My goals for the next four years will be to propose that the Board build a Strategic Plan that will promote financial growth and quality healthcare to all areas of the hospital, SNF, ancillary services, and to the community.

The Board has many unanswered questions right now. There are no easy answers and I would llike to be part of the newly elected team to address the issues so important to us, to obtain further insight, and bring solution to the problems that we continue to experience.

Serving on the KVHD Board is challenging at times, BUT I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Please vote for KATHRYN KNIGHT on November 2nd, for KVHD Board of Directors.

Thank you.

Kathryn Knight

You may contact Kathryn Knight at 760-379-2677 or Robert.Knight210@verizon.net

1 comment:

  1. Oh for pitty sakes, I hope this delusional housewife does not get elected for a second term!

    ReplyDelete